Intra Muscular Stimulation (IMS)
IMS uses acupuncture needles to specifically target injured muscles, which have tightened/contracted as a result of injury/stress. The needles are inserted into the affected areas, which can be directly into the tight bands of muscles, or near the spine where the nerves have become irritated. Generally, the insertion of the needles is relatively painless, however into a tight band, you may feel the sensation of muscle cramping. The result is to relax the tight bands of muscle, improve local blood flow to the area and normalize nerve function.
Your first treatment
Your first treatment will involve a thorough assessment of your injury to determine the areas causing your pain. It will generally involve a few needles as each person will react quite differently, and it is not possible to know exactly how you will react. You will generally feel some cramping during treatment directly into the tight bands of muscle and some soreness for up to 24-48 hours after the treatment.
IMS may help with the following conditions:
- Chronic neck/lower back pain
- Post Motor Vehicle Accident Injuries
- Tennis elbow
- Shoulder Impingement
- Chronic Muscle tightness
Contraindications to IMS:
IMS should be avoided:
- During pregnancy
- If you have a compromised immune system or fever
- If there is a local infection or wound in the area
- Post-surgery for 3-6 months
- Post-mastectomy/lymph node removal in that limb
- If you are taking blood thinners or have haemophilia. Those who are taking blood thinners may be eligible for IMS with prior consultation and approval in writing from the doctor.
Looking for IMS (Intra Muscular Stimulation) in Richmond, BC?
Our experienced team at Richmond Steveston Physiotherapy and Sports Injury Clinic will help you treat pain and improve your overall wellbeing with IMS techniques. Give us a call or get in touch through our contact form to book an appointment today.